Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day


Last night I had the most amazing dream.  If you know me, you'll completely understand this in the first sentence.  If you dont, you'll get it by the end of the first paragraph...

I dreamed of my Grandma and being at her house for "Sunday Supper".  My whole entire family was there.  My sisters, cousins, and aunts and uncles from Georgia to Texas.  It was great.  But the best part was W.A. was there with his cousins, which is "the best part" because, see, my Grandmother passed away on December 31, 2007.  She has only "met" one of her great-grand-babies and that was Regan (who is 4 now).

This dream was so vivid that I woke up this morning and for a nanosecond thought to myself, "oh, I should call Grandma and say hello."  I felt so good.  For a nanosecond.  Then I had that hollow chest, the heart-in-your-throat feeling because I remembered she was gone.  I was as sad as I was at her funeral, all over again.  I really miss my Grandma.  I think about her alot.  Then my husband says, "she came to visit W.A. and wanted to celebrate Valentine's Day with you since I'll be working."  I laughed and then I realized: YES!  Yes, you're right!  Because my Grandma knows how much I want W.A. to know her and she didnt want me to be alone on VDay.



This dream suddenly started to make me feel good, instead of sad.  And then, all of a sudden, my husband asks me "was there fried chicken there?".  I looked him like he was a turd in a punchbowl and replied, "why, yes.  It is the South, and it was Sunday Supper." 




My Grandma was always cooking her collards, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and macaroni and cheese (among many other things) on Sundays.  So I decided to cook this for my family tonight.  I know it didnt taste as good as hers, but it was pretty good.




I will always miss my Grandma, (especially around Easter, her favorite holiday).  But I am so thankful for these memories and especially these "special visits" like the one I had last night.  It reminds me of how much she loved her grandchildren.  And the food was the best part, honeychild!

Happy Valentine's Day Grandma!  I miss you!

Cheers!

W.A.'s Momma

P.S. I wonder when Kenny, Keri and Samantha are going to get over here and help me do the dishes...





1 comment:

  1. I miss my Grandma too...dreamt about her last night ironically. She passed almost two years ago.

    ReplyDelete