Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Good Ole YMCA


W.A. and I go to the YMCA everyday (except weekends).  We spend a good 1 to 2 hours there.  I get my "workout" on while W.A. spends some quality time with his little buddies in the nursery.  Our YMCA has indoor basketball courts, a swimming pool, fitness center, classes galore and the nicest playground you ever saw!



Classes are different for me by the day (bootcamp, running, cycling, etc), but W.A. loves the Nursery.  He never gives me any grief when I drop him off.  The caregivers at our local Y (and other Y's across the country) are fully trained in emergency response so I don't worry one minute that I am away!  And W.A. just loves those ladies!

We started going to the "Y" regularly almost a year ago.  I initially started going because I wanted to lose those extra pounds I put on since marrying my Kentucky Gentleman.  The YMCA is a gym, yes, but to me it has turned into so much more than that.  I've met some of the best instructors there: Betty*, Jane*, and Opal* have me slimmed down, more disciplined and smoke free!  I actually care about my health now!  They are ALWAYS available to answer health and fitness questions with patience!  As a matter of fact, these instructors go so far beyond their normal duties everyday: let me give you an example!  Betty* typed up some exercises for me to do while on vacation!  She also added some last minute tips sitting right there in the floor of the hallway with me.  It doesn't get any better than that.  Try finding that special attention at your "big techno" gyms (Globo-Gym type places as seen on the movie Dodgeball with Ben Stiller).


There are other reasons to join the YMCA that go far beyond just exercise.  Before W.A. came into our lives, all of my girlfriends were not mothers.  I love them, but lets face it.  When we become mothers, our girl time diminishes and you have less in common.  My single girlfriends did not want to hear what color W.A.'s snot was that day or that I was worried about his pooping schedule.  I met some great women at the YMCA in just a few short months and they are mothers to toddlers just like me.  We can talk about our kids' poop, snot, eating habits, etc until we are blue in the face and none of us will think twice about it.  It is so wonderful having this support system in place.  And now we are setting up playdates for our children.  The YMCA can be a great place for Stay at Home Moms!

I cannot wait to get W.A. into our YMCA's pre-school program.  They will teach him colors, shapes and songs, sure.  But they will instill him good moral values and a healthy lifestyle (mentally and physically).  They will teach him to serve his fellow man, give back to his community, and make decisions that are based on kindness.

The YMCA also has great programs that are free or set at a minimal cost for those in the community that can't afford them.  Gym memberships have been reduced or given out free for those without the financial means.  Kids have gone to camps, taken swimming lessons and played basketball!  Your membership dues don't just go to maintaining your exercise equipment, your dollars GIVE BACK!  We can ALL benefit from that in so many ways! 




So: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL YMCA!

Cheers!

W.A.'s Momma


P.S. If this blog hasn't changed your mind about the local YMCA, you can stick with your Globo-Gym, but you will always find me supporting my local YMCA!

*Names have been changed to protect privacy.

1 comment: