Sunday, February 27, 2011

Southern Style...


This topic is a little unrelated to my son per se, but I just wanted to share some thoughts...



I just finished reading Saving CeeCee Honeycutt for the second time.  I do not enjoy the sad and tragic plot to the story but I do however, enjoy the transplanting of a 12 year old girl to the heart of the South, Savannah, Georgia, when her heart is broken.  This book is a wonderful example of a loving Southern lady.  It also has beautiful and precise descriptions of true southern homes with extravagant and enchanting southern gardens.

I have been missing all things Southern lately.  See, there truly is a slower pace and a more genteel way about the South.  Although southern women are either portrayed as dumb, or better yet, seriously deficient in manners (Real Housewives of Atlanta) it simply is not true.  A southern woman has grace, manners, empathy, values and charm.  Being a Southern Girl means (to me) that you open your home, your oven, and your heart to your friends when they are in need of comfort. 

I miss my home state of Georgia immensely sometimes, and I do wish to get back one day and sit on my front porch with a glass of real iced tea.  Until then I have some comforts of the South around my house.  And I also have two other important things: Your Southern Peach, and my subscription to Southern Lady Magazine.

I would like to share with you what every southern woman will have in her household.

1) Her Grandmother's pearls and a portrait of her family's matriarch.
2) Blue and White Porcelain and a crystal bud vase.
3) An American Flag.
4) Memorabilia from a fine southern college, i.e. The University of Georgia or University of Kentucky, in our case.
5) A sitting room (or parlor, or tea room) for chatting with women friends (not gossiping, that STILL should only be done at the beauty shop).
6) A Talbot's Catalog.
7) A garden of some kind.
8) Small book collection from her favorite Southern writer (mine happens to be Mary Kay Andrews). And a copy of Gone With The Wind.
9) A Family Bible (I have the first and last Bibles my Grandmother ever bought me).
10) Steel Magnolias, starring the Queen of all that is Southern, Dolly Parton.

There are many more items (the iron skillet, cookie press, doilies, etc.) that should be added, but these are my top ten favorites.

Bless Your Hearts, Sugars!

W.A.'s Momma

P.S. Pleeeeeease make sure you check out Your Southern Peach.  She is precious.

1 comment:

  1. Your are so, so sweet and just because you're living a little further north, doesn't mean you still can't be an everyday Southern belle!

    I love your top ten list and DREAM of one day having a sitting room or "formal living room" for tea and ladies gatherings :)

    Hugs to my fellow peach!

    ReplyDelete