Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Difference A Year Makes...

Wow.



One year ago today I ran my first foot race.  It was only 3 miles and I am still working on trying to run the entire thing, but again, wow.  What a difference a year makes.  I am smoke free, skinnier, healthier and much much happier.  I am in the gym six days a week and love every minute of it.  Never thought I would hear myself say that.  Three years ago, I was creeping up on 200 pounds, pre-diabetic, a smoker and a lush.

I have signed up for a 5K (or 10K) pretty much every month since and I have a race scheduled every month for the rest of this year.  Ive also beat my first race with my latest race by a whole 8 minutes.  And don't forget, I ran a 5K while on vacation.  I am a totally different person!  And I love it!

Ive also added a few more athletic events to my schedule.  On Tuesday, instead of Ladies Night Out at the bar, we will be rock climbing at SportRock Alexandria.  In October, I will be competing in my first ever golf tournament.  So what if I am doing it for the female camaraderie and the beer (maybe you cant rule out the lush part entirely, yet)?  And let me add, there are some serious obstacle courses in my future...Big Hoo Yah, anyone?

And the best reason for all of these races, golf tournaments and obstacle courses?  Fundraising!  Ive raised money for food for the homeless, pediatric/breast/lung cancer, teen mothers, the YMCA support campaign (which is close to my heart), Special Olympics, Ronald McDonald House Charities (also close to my heart and where I happily got to reside when WA was in NICU) and many more!  It is a great feeling to be able to give back to your community!

And living a healthy lifestyle for my awesome kid is the best thing I can do for him!

Cheers!

WA's Momma

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and am SO very proud of you. You're such an inspiration to me and I'm sure many of those around you.

    Xo,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete