Friday, September 2, 2011

Grandmothers and Grandmothers


Me and Grandma Edna, 1978

Recently, I learned an old friend's grandmother passed away.  His news reminded me of my grandmother and made the grief fresh again.  We spoke over the phone briefly, and I could just tell how "beat up" he sounded.  I lost my Grandma Edna three years ago this December.  I know how he is feeling right now.  Its terrible.

I miss so many things about her.  I miss her apple turnovers in the Fall.  I miss her smell.  It was her cosmetic powder from Lady Love.  I miss her love for her roses and her garden.  I miss her sewing dresses for all seven of her granddaughters at Easter.  I miss how she always inadvertently left a $20 bill out of someone's Christmas card.  She had a lot of grandchildren to remember.  I miss her housecoats and her permanents.  I miss her voice when she sang in the choir, one of the reasons I still cannot sit through a church service without crying.

Most of all, I miss her really really tight hugs and the lipstick she left on your face after kissing you.  I will always hold these memories so clear in my heart.  But it hurts sometimes knowing they are only memories now.

Sincerely,

W.A.'s Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment