Thursday, October 7, 2010

Home...

What makes your house a home?

First and foremost, this is what makes my house a home...




However, every woman keeps house in some capacity.  I get the privilege of being a Homemaker.  W.A.'s Daddy and I love to read.  Here is a space in our home that has been set up as our library. 
It is our formal living room, but we have two family rooms already, we did not need another "sitting" area.  We have all of our books organized here, as well as our accolades, pictures of our family and some cozy throws for chilly nights.  As you can see, it is also a favorite "snoozing spot" for our very first baby, Anniebell.  The most special piece included in our library is an American flag that was flown over a military base in Afghanistan, given to W.A. for Christmas by a good friend.  We are very proud to show it off.

At our house, we love love love the beach.  My husband and my son are "water babies".  We feel at home every time we hear the sounds of the ocean or smell that salt air.  We wanted our most used family room to mimic a comfortable beach cottage.  The shells in the glass fish on our mantle were all collected at Sanibel Island.  My husband's parents took him and him siblings there every year when they were growing up.  Sanibel is full of shells of all shapes and sizes.  When collecting shells there, you are known to do the "Sanibel Stoop".

My Kentucky Gentleman and I love to cook (even though he is good at it and I am still learning).  Even more, we love to have nice dinners together so we gather around our dining room table for some great dishes on a regular basis.  We do love the beach, but when we honeymooned in St. Lucia and vacationed in Barbados, we wanted to bring the "island way" home with us.  Tommy Bahama is my favorite designer, so our dining room reflects the island way of life.

In the Spring, Summer and Fall, our family loves to be outside.  We have a pebbled patio just at the bottom of our back deck.  There is a firepit in the center so we can enjoy the outdoors even on the chilliest of nights.  We picked up these Adirondack chairs at Big Lots for a great price.  There are 4 of them and we painted two of them blue and two of them yellow to reflect our bright outlook on life!  Well, the bright colors do help during the gloomy winter!  I do alot of container gardening.  I have no green thumb, so this helps me keep my low gardening abilities in check.


Whatever makes your house your home, make sure it reflects your likes and your personality.  It makes your home cozy and you'll want to spend even more time there. This will be helpful through the cold winter when going outdoors isn't possible.

Cheers!

W.A.'s Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment