Sunday, April 3, 2011

Triglycerides, who?


So, Dr. Ken called with news that my cholesterol is fine, however, I have high triglycerides.

According to the Mayo Clinic's health website, "Triglycerides are a type of lipid found in your blood. When you eat, your body converts any calories it doesn't need to use right away into triglycerides. The triglycerides are stored in your fat cells. Later, hormones release triglycerides for energy between meals. If you regularly eat more calories than you burn, particularly "easy" calories like carbohydrates and fats, you may have high triglycerides (hypertriglyceridemia)."

I thought I was doing so well eating healthfully and doing 60 minutes of rigorous exercise five days a week.  After further research on how to lower my triglycerides, I discovered the very root of my problem.  Wine.  I know a glass of red wine a day is supposed to be good for your heart, but what about that one weekend night a week that my Kentucky Gentleman and I can split an entire bottle?  Not good.  And furthermore, Better Homes and Gardens magazine had an article titled Ladies First in there February 2011 issue that states, "Several years ago, Japanese researchers found that women who drank 2-4 drinks per day were 45 percent more likely to die of heart disease than female non-drinkers."  Wow.  I gave up smoking (which was not easy) so I'll be giving up my wine too.  Or cut down.  Two glasses a week should be fine, right?  I have a son that is ripping through the terrible two's. I need my down time.

In addition to changing our diet and cutting out alcohol, I have added a Monday night Yoga class (I can follow my DVD's the rest of the week) and stocked up on Sleepytime hot tea. 

Take care of your heart, ladies!

Cheers!

W.A.'s Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment