Thursday, January 27, 2011

All Women Are Beautiful

I have recently crawled out of my reading comfort zone of vampire chronicles and Southern ladies fluff stories.  Thanks to my neighbor, I have finally started reading something more educational.  My excuses were always that life is difficult enough sometimes, so I immerse myself in fiction.

My "life" couldn't be one millionth of a fraction of a percent as difficult as lives of women across the ocean in places in Africa and Asia.  I just finished reading Half The Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn.  This book is a must read for every American woman.  It will open your eyes to things we take for granted regarding our reproductive systems and their healthcare.  It truly made me sadder and angrier and more motivated with the beginning of each new chapter.  Their is sadness in the stories of these women, but there is a beauty to their determination and perseverance.

Please, please, please buy this book or check it out at your local library.  If you are not a "reader", please take a few moments to check out this website: The Fistula Foundation, or see this movie: A Walk To Beautiful.

A small part of this book is actually about obstretric fistulas.  This was just one cause that grabbed my attention and "pulled at my heartstrings".  The overall message is that women need to help women all over the world with education and opportunities.  We abolished slavery, we can abolish gender inequality.

Cheers!

W.A's Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment