Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Gift


The day I brought W.A. home from the hospital was the day I got the most precious gift in my life.  I wanted to give my son a big gift in return.  So...

I quit smoking.

Everyone out there who smokes has tried to quit, I'm sure.  And they know how hard it is to quit.  It is not only an addiction but a coping mechanism and relaxer (at least for me).  It was hard, but I did it.  I wanted to share "how" since you already know the "why".

First, I gave up all of my triggers: wine, coffee, sugar-free Red Bull, late night phone calls with my sisters, and huge meals.

Second, I replaced the physical habit with something else.  Every time I felt like reaching for a stogie, I reached for my "friendship bracelets".  You remember those bracelets we made in high school with embroidery yarn?  Yeah, that's them.  I had three or four around the house and a couple in the car.  I joked with everyone I knew that they would be getting a "friendship bracelet" or keychain for Christmas and birthdays.

Third, I did yoga.  Instead of a relaxing cigarette and glass of wine at the end of each night, I did some yoga and had a cup of Sleepytime hot herbal tea.

It wasnt easy, but I did it.  Sure I've had some relapses, but instead of just folding and being angry at myself and smoking more, I started over.  It worked. 

And those patches arent cure-alls, but they sure did take the edge off so I didnt bite off my Kentucky Gentleman's head.

I've been running alot lately and I notice the increase in my lungs' capacity every week.  Exercising more and drinking more water each day surely wards off those cravings.  It is getting a little easier, but there are some days when I just want a good old cigarette.  I loved smoking, but it will surely kill me.

I want to see my son go to college, get married and have children.  And I want that huge Cadillac my dear husband promised me on my 65th birthday.  So I plan to make it! 

Cheers!

W.A.'s (Smokefree) Momma

2 comments: