Thursday, August 25, 2011

Horses...




WA is infatuated with horses.

It is kind of a "sign" for me.  I grew up with horses and his birth mother was very fond of them, she even used to work with therapy horses.  When I met her in the hospital almost three years ago, Trey and I brought her a bracelet with horse charms on it.

We were in Kentucky when we got the call so we bought something at the airport on our way back to meet her.  It happened that it was a perfect gift.

Another "coincidence", I now remember fondly, was while Trey and I were in Kentucky in November 2006.  We went to the Breeders Cup at Churchill Downs and on a wild hair I bought a stuffed pony.  My niece was due three weeks from then and I thought maybe I would give it to her.

I never gave Eva that pony for some reason.  It just kind of got lost during her birth and aftercare (she had medical issues the first few months).  WA has been carrying that pony around for 2 years.  Its nasty and dirty and it smells.  We even found a replacement from the Internet, but he knows the difference.

Somehow, horses come up in our lives quite often.  My sister Brandie loves horses and she is WA's Godmother.  Her daughter Eva loves horses.  I once sent her a stuffed horse after one of her many surgeries.  And with WA's birth mother and myself having our connection to horses, well, I think it is something entirely cosmic. Maybe it isn't, but it all seems to make sense to me. 
Ive been thinking lately, how I would love to have a horse again.  I don't ride anymore, but its therapeutic to brush horses, clean them and care for them.  Its calming.  I am guessing that is why they use horses in recovery.  There is something beautiful about them.  They are strong and hot-headed, but need a lot of care.

Maybe when WA is older we'll get our chance.  Just have to sell my Kentucky Gentleman on the idea.

Cheers!

W.A.'s Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment